Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Yes, 'Positive Stereotypes' Are Still Harmful

They made me feel depersonalized and undifferentiated.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
Healthy Mind
Yes, 'Positive Stereotypes' Are Still Harmful
"I knew what negative stereotypes were and how they made me feel. But these seemingly positive ones made me feel just as horrible. Whether they were true or not, the assumptions that were made about my character based on the color of my skin created challenges in my mental health and contributed to my ongoing identity crisis." Katharine Chan shares her perspective on the harmful effects of positive stereotypes.
READ NOW
EDITOR'S PICK OF THE WEEK
The 9 Best Anxiety Supplements, According to a Dietitian
READ NOW  ›
READ THESE NEXT
Mental Impact of Straddling a Dual Identity as an Asian American
READ NOW  ›
Can We Truly 'Do What We Love' as a Career?
READ NOW  ›
Chrissy Metz Goes Off Script and Reclaims Her Story
READ NOW  ›
verywell fit
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the Healthy Mind newsletter. If you wish to unsubscribe, please click here.
A DOTDASH MEREDITH BRAND 28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10005
© 2022 Verywellmind.com - All rights reserved. Privacy Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment